Thursday, March 26, 2009

Talking with God

A dear agnostic friend of mine asked me how I talk to God.  I explained that it is much like talking to any other person.  She asked how I know that what I hear is actually God and not simply a fabrication of my mind.  Good question- one I've struggled with for a couple years now.  Ultimately though this is how I think I would respond to that question:

I talk to God by faith.
I have the most common of conversations with God simply because I believe that He is the sort of God who is personal and willing (even eager) to talk with me in this down-to-earth way.  
I believe that I hear Him, so I do.  

One time I said to God, "Thank You for speaking to me!"  He responded,
    "It is only because you asked; because you listened.  Many more people would hear Me in the same way if they only asked."

There are of course mental and spiritual ways to discern God's voice from our own or any other, but above all, communication with God comes through faith.

Sometimes I think it is all in my head.  Nothing more than a self-trained way of thinking.  But I value and love talking with God so much that I don't think I can give it up.  If I am wrong, I am wrong.  

Jeanne Guyon wrote in "Experiencing the Depths of Jesus Christ" that one enters into the presence of God by faith.  I believe the same is true of hearing and conversing with God.  So as long as I sense it is God, I will just keep on talking with Him in my own way.  Being wrong is a small price to pay for the sake of hearing God's voice.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes it's plain as day for me (what He says) and sometimes there is just to much of me in the way to hear Him right. When I feel like it was Him talking to me it has never proven wrong.

    ReplyDelete